Bus Accident Attorney In Catonsville, Maryland
More people are relying on public transportation than ever before; according to the American Public Transportation Association, in 2019, Americans logged more than 9.9 billion trips. Even though public transportation provides the general public with a variety of benefits that include money saved and traffic avoidance, with the massive number of public vehicles occupying U.S. roadways, accidents are inevitable.
No one deserves to suffer because of someone else’s negligence. If someone you know or love has been the victim of a bus accident in Maryland, they need an experienced bus accident attorney to help them understand their rights and fight for the compensation they deserve.
At BSS Law, LLC, attorney Bradley Shepherd understands the trauma that being in an accident can have. He can handle the legal side of things while you focus on your wellness and recovery. The firm proudly serves clients in Catonsville, Columbia, Baltimore and across the state of Maryland.
Bus Accidents In Maryland
Buses are large and heavy vehicles; because of this, a bus accident can be more serious than a car accident. When you board a city bus or walk city streets, you expect to be safe. Unfortunately, an accident can happen without warning, and there are several contributing factors that may cause an accident. These include but are not limited to:
- Bus company negligence
- Bus driver negligence
- Bus driver fatigue
- Bad weather
- Blind spots and left turns
- No seat belts
- Unsecured possessions
Bus accidents are complex. Determining the cause of the accident that caused the injury is the leading factor that can impact a claim. Rely on an experienced bus accident attorney to identify who is legally responsible for your injuries.
Legal Options For Bus Accidents
Injuries from a bus accident can be severe. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, there are typically two options for taking legal action. A lawsuit can be filed against the driver and or against the city that operates the bus.
Because most buses are operated by the government, filing a claim can be confusing. Many government entities are offered legal protection under a principle called sovereign immunity. While sovereign immunity does not make government entities immune from a lawsuit, it does make navigating a claim alone and without legal representation extremely difficult.
Suing The Bus Driver
Bus drivers have the responsibility to maintain the safety of all passengers as well as other motorists and civilians. Any action that threatens the well-being of such persons, such as distracted driving, driver fatigue, reckless driving and failure to obey traffic laws can be considered negligence. If this negligence resulted in injury, a claim may be filed against the driver, and they can be held liable for damages.
Suing The City
It is possible to file a lawsuit against the government or municipal city in which the accident took place. As with lawsuits against most government entities, there are specific rules and timeframes that must be strictly adhered to when filing a bus accident claim. Filing a suit against the city should only be considered if the scope of the injuries sustained is beyond minor.
Considerations And Complications
Unlike typical personal injury cases that involve privately owned automobiles, buses that are owned by government entities pose unique considerations. Below are helpful individuals for anyone who has suffered injuries resulting from a bus accident and wants to file a lawsuit.
- Seek ongoing medical attention – it’s hard to prove the severity of an injury if there are no supporting medical records. It’s always best to follow the doctor’s advice for treatment.
- Gather evidence and maintain documentation – Gather as much information as possible and write everything down. This includes police records, witness statements, medical records, photographs, etc.
- Pay attention to deadlines – Individuals seeking recovery from damages must adhere to strict timelines to file claims and submit paperwork. Failure to meet deadlines will result in a dismissed claim.
- Be aware of tricks and savvy insurance reps – Insurance reps work hard to deny fault and play the long game with claims. Be wary of attempts to drag out the process beyond the statute of limitation deadlines which results in a denial of your claim.
- Consult with a Maryland bus attorney first – Never attempt to file a bus accident claim on your own. An experienced attorney knows the complexity of filing a bus accident claim and can offer the best roadmap for compensation.
A bus crash can happen when you least expect it. If someone you know or love has been injured in a bus crash because of a negligent driver or person, seek legal help immediately. At BSS Law, LLC, attorney Bradley Shepherd personalizes every case and will not rest until there are results. To learn more and schedule a consultation, call the office today. BSS Law, LLC, serves bus accident victims and their families in Columbia, Baltimore and Catonsville, Maryland.